Re: Pre-RFC: Rename SVf_UTF8 et al.

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
September 3, 2021 01:03
Re: Pre-RFC: Rename SVf_UTF8 et al.
Message ID:
CAExogxODNZDxLga3YWyvPLsNRssAqBFAP-=2W9vhZ=KhFWYY0Q@mail.gmail.com
I want to get the basic knowledge to join this discussion.

Would you tell me the following things?

1. Do the following things mean the same or different?

  my $bytes = Encode::encode('UTF-8', $string);

  utf8::encode($string);
  my $bytes = $string;

2. Do the following things mean the same or different?

  my $string = Encode::decode('UTF-8', $bytes);

  utf8::decode($bytes);
  my $string = $bytes;

3. Do the following things mean the same or different?

  # Perl
  utf8::decode

  # XS
  sv_utf8_decode

4. Do the following things mean the same or different?

  # Perl
  utf8::encode

  # XS
  sv_utf8_encode

My first interest is the difference between the Perl world and the XS world.