Re: Pre-RFC: Rename SVf_UTF8 et al.

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
Re: Pre-RFC: Rename SVf_UTF8 et al.
Message ID:
YSzMeGHKp7Nd/LFC@iabyn.com
(forgot to Cc this to p5p)

----- Forwarded message from Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> -----

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:17:04 +0100
From: Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com>
To: Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com>
Subject: Re: Pre-RFC: Rename SVf_UTF8 et al.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 01:18:34PM -0400, Felipe Gasper wrote:
> PROBLEM: The naming of Perl’s “UTF-8 flag” is a continual source of confusion regarding the flag’s significance.

The SVf_UTF8 flags has a clear and unambiguous meaning (apart from some
historical bugs): in what manner the codepoints of a string are stored as
a sequence of bytes in memory.

If people are confused by this, renaming it is only going to add to the
cognitive load and confusion.

(I'm assuming the old names are kept as aliases for backwards
compatibility.)

--
The Enterprise successfully ferries an alien VIP from one place to another
without serious incident.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
print+qq&$}$"$/$s$,$a$d$g$s$@$.$q$,$:$.$q$^$,$@$a$~$;$.$q$m&if+map{m,^\d{0\,},,${$::{$'}}=chr($"+=$&||1)}q&10m22,42}6:17a2~2.3@3;^2dg3q/s"&=~m*\d\*.*g