Re: PSC #034 2021-08-20 - "Namespaces Special"

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
Re: PSC #034 2021-08-20 - "Namespaces Special"
Message ID:
CAExogxP6koMyEyArWF5DWGY6k7Tkd+cURDQdPzWE5zvusNsBcw@mail.gmail.com
2021-8-30 13:30 Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 11:46 PM Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> 2021-8-27 21:08 Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>         #!perl
>>>         use v5.40;
>>>         say "The reftype of arrays is ", reftype [];
>>>

>> There is one point I would like PSC to add to the discussion.
>>
>> Are all builtin functions imported to the "main" namespace?
>>
>> Or, are just only the functions we consider very important imported
>> to the "main" namespace?
>>
>> I would like to add this to the discussion because the "main" namespace
>> is also the user's space, so smaller conflicts are better.
>>

> It won't go into any namespace if it is implemented as a lexical keyword
> like you get from feature.pm.
>
> -Dan
>

>> And furthermore, builtins are not in main either, they are in CORE.

Dan, thank you for the information.

From now on, I will say CORE.

I understand that is lexical.

My point is that already imported user functions need fully qualified names.

For example, Think about that the generic name ”get" is added to CORE
namespace.

User "get" function needs a fully qualified name.

  # Old code
  use Foo 'get';

  get '/aaa';

  # New code
  use v5.40;

  use Foo ();

  Foo::get '/aaa';

So I feel it would be better to have fewer collisions.