Re: PSC #034 2021-08-20 - "Namespaces Special"

From:
Oodler 577 via perl5-porters
Date:
Re: PSC #034 2021-08-20 - "Namespaces Special"
Message ID:
20210830040212.GE28661@odin.sdf-eu.org
* Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> [2021-08-30 12:46:19 +0900]:

> 2021-8-27 21:08 Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
>

> >         #!perl
> >         use v5.40;
> >         say "The reftype of arrays is ", reftype [];
> >

> There is one point I would like PSC to add to the discussion.
>
> Are all builtin functions imported to the "main" namespace?
>
> Or, are just only the functions we consider very important imported to the
> "main" namespace?
>
> I would like to add this to the discussion because the "main" namespace is
> also the user's space, so smaller conflicts are better.

This all came about, IIRC, because off the "trim" drama. Can we add this to the
list of "test" cases for what it'd look like? IOW, as the discussion progresses,
it'd be helpful to see how this translated into real life to address one of the
main points of contention related to trim. I.e., the well founded fear that this
would admit a large number of "string" functions into the "main" namespace.

Cheers,
Brett

oodler@cpan.org
oodler577@sdf-eu.org