Re: Twigils

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: Twigils
Message ID:
f1ddaa30-9380-c003-61d6-33de500b2cfc@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-08-20 8:25 a.m., David Nicol wrote:
> this would be a nice use case for a more robust macro language / source
> rewriter. The twigils could get rewritten into valid miniperl. As well as a lot
> of core features, for a general refactoring of the parsing steps. Leading to
> "perl in perl" which AFAIK nobody has actually followed through with.

The use of a source rewriter for this would imply that the proposed use of
Twigils is a short-hand for something else.

However, in this case the Twigils ARE the FUNDAMENTAL feature syntax, they are
the ONLY way to express what they are intended for, which is direct access to
slots, which are a new fundamental concept implemented in core and not
implemented over something that already exists.

(I had proposed that the Twigils could be a special short-hand for a more
general syntax that lets one reference slots of multiple objects directly from
the same context, however this idea was rejected for the Corinna MVP / v1.)

Therefore, it does not make sense to propose Twigils be immplemented using a
source rewriter.

-- Darren Duncan