Re: Is anyone else using Object::Pad? [was Re: Twigils]

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: Is anyone else using Object::Pad? [was Re: Twigils]
Message ID:
20210820115752.642519a4@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 06:13:00 +0000 (UTC)
Ovid via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, 19 August 2021, 06:40:53 CEST, Darren Duncan
> <darren@darrenduncan.net> wrote:
> > Also I agree that renaming Object::Pad to Corinna::Prototype per
> > Elvin Asianov's suggestion should boost its visibility
> > significantly.
>
> Object::Pad shouldnt't be named Corinna::Prototype because it's not.
> It's a testbed for Corinna ideas, but Paul's gone far beyond that.
> It's a playground that let's him experiment with things that are not
> going to be in the MVP and perhaps will never be in Corinna. If it
> were to be renamed, something like Corinna::Playground or
> Corinna::Testbed would be more appropriate. That being said,
> Object::Pad has been around long enough, and it's in production use,
> that I'm unsure of the wisdom of renaming it.

I'm verymuch with Ovid here.

Object::Pad isn't *just* a testbed for Corinna, and it isn't really a
prototype implementation. The two certainly overlap, and each takes
ideas from the other, but they aren't the same. Furthermore, the actual
implementation is done in a somewhat different way to what would be
possible if it were in core, because it isn't in core. It doesn't have
access to anywhere near the same amount of tricks as a true core impl
would.

I'm also not sure if this naming argument really makes sense. Compare
the number of users of e.g. Class::Accessor vs. Moose. Why should
naming something after a hoofed mammal suddenly give it much more
popularity?

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans