Re: MSVC 2005 (8.0) build broken

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: MSVC 2005 (8.0) build broken
Message ID:
20210818102907.GX11066@etla.org
On Sun, Aug 08, 2021 at 06:53:49PM -0400, George Greer wrote:

> Given all that and Nicholas Clark intending to use C99 features in the new
> hashing, I think MSVC 8.0 support is done as far as even building.  As a
> result, I've shutdown my Windows 2000 VM for smoking.  The Windows 10 64-bit
> smoker will continue.

Thanks for running your Win32 smokers for all these years. I have found
them very useful.

Yes, I think that shutting down the Windows 2000 smoker is the right thing
to do, and I'm glad that you're continuing to run the Windows 10 smoker.

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 07:01:47AM +0200, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 21:15:48 -0400
> "Ricardo Signes" <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
>
> > Earlier this year, we (PSC) said that we were not going to concern ourselves with any MSVC prior to v12.
>
> Does that mean I can make a PR that removes support for them or is there
> still a need for an RFC, discussion or something?

Making a PR to update that documentation would be very useful.

As to *using* C99, the PSC proposed that they aren't to be used until
someone documents them:

https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2021/06/msg260331.html

(because it is frustrating when "everyone" assumes that someone else will
do it, and ultimately this ended up with the pumpking having to do it)

I am intending to comply with that resolution - I am not going to submit
anything in a PR until the documentation is done. It *might* be me doing
that documentation, if it blocks me. The "proof of concept" branch was
intended as just that, and only contained enough Configure/cflags hackery
to get it to work.

Nicholas Clark