Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor

From:
Arne Johannessen
Date:
Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor
Message ID:
E472BA1E-02FA-4CCE-A0FD-6E356B435D32@thaw.de
H.Merijn Brand wrote on 11 August:

> Consistency.  Essentially, when // was introduced, the low-level
> operator was forgotten.
>
> In my life as perl user I have never ever needed or used xor, but I
> have used err while it was defined many many times. It is about making
> easy (but ugly) things even easier and more consistent.

Considering

    defined $foo or next;

and

    $foo dor next;

the former seems much more clean and readable to me. `dor` or `dand` aren't terms that are really established anywhere AFAIK (unlike `xor`, which has been around forever). And `err` is misleading. However, the following doesn't assign the value of $foo; you'd need `dor` or `//` for that:

    my $bar = defined $foo or next;

So `dor` does add some small value to Perl. I just don't much like the name. I'm wondering if the operator could be named `definedor` instead, or if perhaps the following construct (which is currently a compile error) should be treated specially:

    my $bar = $foo defined or next;

--
Arne Johannessen