Re: removing the old-style package separator

From:
David Cantrell
Date:
Re: removing the old-style package separator
Message ID:
20210817110750.GB5622@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 06:05:03PM +0900, Yuki Kimoto wrote:
> 2021-8-17 15:58 H.Merijn Brand <perl5@tux.freedom.nl> wrote:
> > The ' is from perl1 .. perl4 and was never removed in perl5
> Thank you.
> It seems that we need to send a wide message to users who are running perl
> 4 as it is.
>
> In my experience, the library jcode.pl seems to use ??? as package separator.

The (used to be) fairly common mirror.pl script, written back in the
middle ages by Lee McLoughlin for mirroring ftp sites, is thoroughly
perl4 code, including calls to eg &ftp'login().

I can't imagine that deapostrophising it would be terribly difficult
though. Of course, with perlbrew being a thing and disks of infinite
size coming free with a packet of corn flakes these days anyone who,
like me, depends on 1990s code with no tests, can just keep a build of
5.32 specially for that one script.

EINE KIRCHE! EIN KREDO! EIN PAPST!