Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
David Cantrell
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
20210817092838.GA5622@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk
On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 11:08:48AM -0400, Dan Book wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 11:04 AM David Cantrell <david@cantrell.org.uk>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 11:45:21PM -0700, Darren Duncan wrote:
> > > Question:  Is there ever a real life scenario where a single
> > > source file is not entirely the same encoding?
> > Sure. Some code, in utf8, and then a binary blob in __DATA__ which the
> > utf8 code reads and parses.
> >
> > It's not good practice, but it's what you had to do to easily distribute
> > data in a CPAN distribution before File::ShareDir::Install existed.
> Note this will currently break because the filehandle *is* shared between
> code and DATA, unlike with POD. "use utf8" applies to both. But I would
> consider the use case of non-textual data in DATA exceedingly rare.

I stopped doing it a few years ago. I think I've seen it in test suites
for some image-processing modules in the past.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

You can't spell AWESOME without ME!