Re: removing the old-style package separator

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
Re: removing the old-style package separator
Message ID:
20210817111618.000f91b1@pc09
On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:05:03 +0900, Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2021-8-17 15:58 H.Merijn Brand <perl5@tux.freedom.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:46:24 +0900, Yuki Kimoto
> > <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > 2021-8-17 14:48 Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Although I personally agree with this proposal, Is it possible to
> > > tell me about the Perl version ' is added and the Perl version ::
> > > is added for me to imagine the impact of removal?
> >
> > The ' is from perl1 .. perl4 and was never removed in perl5
> >
> > The :: notation was new in perl5 (from the beginning)
>
> Thank you.
>
> It seems that we need to send a wide message to users who are running
> perl 4 as it is.

If there are still active perl4 users, their code does *NOT* have to
change, as perl4 is not going to change. If their users decide to
update their scripts to perl5 (whatever version) not having ' as a
package separator is probably the least of their problems.

Perl4' last release was in Feb 1993, so it is "stable". (and insecure)

> In my experience, the library jcode.pl seems to use ’ as package
> separator.

And what is the target version of perl in that script? What package
does it belong to? When was its latest update? Is it likely that that
script will be updated to use recent perl (if it does not already)?

So, yes, we need to send the message, but perl4 users are not the
target audience

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux