Re: removing the old-style package separator

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
Re: removing the old-style package separator
Message ID:
20210817085741.193e85f0@pc09
On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:46:24 +0900, Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2021-8-17 14:48 Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This proposal is for deprecation and removal, which would not be
> > lexical as the parser would subsequently not support it at all.
> >
> > The alternative proposal of only disabling it within string
> > interpolation could be a lexical feature. I don't think it's worth
> > the complexity in either implementation or explaining why it works
> > differently there, when the only uses of the feature are for jokes.
> >
> > -Dan
>
> Although I personally agree with this proposal, Is it possible to
> tell me about the Perl version ' is added and the Perl version :: is
> added for me to imagine the impact of removal?

The ' is from perl1 .. perl4 and was never removed in perl5

The :: notation was new in perl5 (from the beginning)

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux