Re: removing the old-style package separator

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
Re: removing the old-style package separator
Message ID:
CAExogxNLSGKSPW2YtwOqU7sf8OW4FJeYKGPoYrsL2RNUz9DkZw@mail.gmail.com
2021-8-15 12:09 Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> Porters,
>
> Since at least 2009 <http://markmail.org/message/gaux5xx5jlop3vmk>, we
> have been talking, once in a while, about deprecating the use of
> \N{APOSTROPHE} as a package separator, Ada style.
>
> The following two expressions are equivalent:
>
> $x::y::z
>
> $x'y'z
>

> This mostly goes unnoticed, but the confusion sometimes seeps in at:
>
> print "This is $user's problem to deal with."
>
> …which attempts to interpolate $user::s
>
> This bites experts and new users alike, and while the apostrophe *might*
> be aesthetically pleasing as a package separator, that battle has basically
> been lost.
>
> I think the next course of action is to see what on CPAN would really
> break if the old package separator was removed.  I predict "very nearly
> nothing."  Then, to add a deprecation warning for when it is used, with a
> drop dead date.  That is, assuming that we don't realize there's some
> reason we really ought not to do this.
>
> This is a low-value win, but I think it's a win.  Shall we carry on to RFC
> this?
>
> --
> rjbs

 Is this proposal lexical removal using "no feature 'foo'" or global
removal?

Can this be solved with a lexical tokenizer?

If possible, wouldn't it be okay to break nothing?