Re: MSVC 2005 (8.0) build broken

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: MSVC 2005 (8.0) build broken
Message ID:
20210815130938.3bfb5a3b@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 07:01:47 +0200
Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 21:15:48 -0400
> "Ricardo Signes" <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
>
> > Earlier this year, we (PSC) said that we were not going to concern
> > ourselves with any MSVC prior to v12.
>
> Does that mean I can make a PR that removes support for them or is
> there still a need for an RFC, discussion or something?

I'd say it's more that we're not going to bother doing *active* work to
keep supporting such old compilers. If things happen to currently
mostly work then fine. If code is sitting around just to support it but
isn't in the way of anything else, then don't bother disturbing it.

If you want to propose removing code that only exists to support old
compilers, you'll have to weigh up the relative cost of making that
disturbance, against the wider benefit of cleaning up the code.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans