Re: removing the old-style package separator

From:
Tomasz Konojacki
Date:
Re: removing the old-style package separator
Message ID:
20210815065733.17A1.5C4F47F8@xenu.pl
On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 23:08:40 -0400
"Ricardo Signes" <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> Porters,
>
> Since at least 2009 <http://markmail.org/message/gaux5xx5jlop3vmk>, we have been talking, once in a while, about deprecating the use of \N{APOSTROPHE} as a package separator, Ada style.
>
> The following two expressions are equivalent:
> $x::y::z
>
> $x'y'z
>
> This mostly goes unnoticed, but the confusion sometimes seeps in at:
> print "This is $user's problem to deal with."
> Â…which attempts to interpolate $user::s
>
> This bites experts and new users alike, and while the apostrophe *might* be aesthetically pleasing as a package separator, that battle has basically been lost.
>
> I think the next course of action is to see what on CPAN would really break if the old package separator was removed.  I predict "very nearly nothing."  Then, to add a deprecation warning for when it is used, with a drop dead date.  That is, assuming that we don't realize there's some reason we really ought not to do this.
>
> This is a low-value win, but I think it's a win.  Shall we carry on to RFC this?

I believe this is the most recent disucssion on this topic (2017):
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/16270