Re: removing the old-style package separator

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
Re: removing the old-style package separator
Message ID:
0cdd0062-bfba-2320-fd76-9a0fde6a2b0b@stemsystems.com
On 8/15/21 12:12 AM, Dan Book wrote:

>     while i totally agree with this, there are some modules with the
>     name d'oh in them!
>
>     |||use| |D <https://metacpan.org/pod/D>||'oh '||i_hate_this_program';|
>     |||D||'oh::stderr('||/tmp/stderr'); ||# redirect all stderr to
>     /tmp/stderr|
>

>           D'oh::Year <https://metacpan.org/pod/D'oh::Year> - Catch
>           stupid mistakes when mucking with years, like Y2K bugs
>

>     and both seem to do something real and are not in acme::
>

> Test::More::isn't is another example of this; but in both cases a
> slightly less cute version is perfectly usable without this feature,
> so I don't find it a compelling reason against the downsides.
>
> -Dan

agreed. i don't see a downside but for losing the cuteness. and isn't
could be renamed to isnot. and the two d'oh modules are more jokes than
real. they belong in acme. but they should have their name changed to be
compliant with this deprecation.

it should be easy enough to scan the cpan namespace for apostrophes.
scanning the cpan sources would be tricky IMO as single quotes are
everywhere. if we find all the names and their dependents, those authors
could be notified about the impending apostrophic doom!

uri