Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor

From:
Neil Bowers
Date:
Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor
Message ID:
452984f5-811c-49ca-88e4-7606f096d20e@Spark
Hi Brett,
> Saying rude words is just my way of saying, "this is a bad idea".

p5p has roughly 500 subscribers who are all over the world. Rude words are going to come across as just rude to a decent percentage of readers. If someone uses rude words in an email to me, unless they’re a close friend I’ll assume either (a) they think I’m an idiot, or (b) they’re angry with me.

p5p is not a place for rude words.

> My emails are not costing anyone anything

Oh but they are.

At a minimum they cost peoples’ time to read.

And sometimes it’s hard to know what point you’re trying to make. And it’s frustrating to read a long email from you that ends with something like "oh, I guess I just don’t know". When I write an email that ends like that, I don’t send it – I delete it. Or I save the draft, maybe sleep on it, bounce it off someone, and only send it when I do know what point I want to make. I have a bunch of draft p5p emails that I haven’t sent yet because they’re not ready, and I don’t want to waste peoples’ time.

And they also cost in terms of the signal/noise ratio of p5p. Long emails that don’t contribute to a discussion are noise. They’re noise in that thread, but they also increase the perception of p5p as a noisy place. Multiple past contributors have said they’ve left/disengaged-from the list because the signal/noise ratio had declined too far. Furthermore, when the signal/noise ratio is low, it puts people off from joining discussions, or starting new ones; this can result in a downward spiral.

p5p is not a place for throwing round random ideas related to programming languages. We want to make the best use of the limited resources we have available, to make Perl better for all of us. Please think about your emails in that context before sending them.

If you want to send something to p5p, start off by writing the final line which summarises the point you want to make. Then write an email that leads to that point. Save the draft and wait 24 hours. Read any messages that have come in the meantime. Edit your email. Is your message going to move the discussion forward? If you really think so, send it. For the next 4 weeks, try and limit yourself: only send 2 messages to p5p per week.

Neil