Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor
Message ID:
CAHhgV8gn=vgX2RpDoQpGUiKE8myggvQ=ZhdY4o1dET0y2ejD1A@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 12:46 AM Oodler 577 via perl5-porters <
perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> > Larry Wall's original newsreader for Usenet provided this warning when
> you posted:
> > > This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire
> civilized world. Your message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands
> of dollars to send everywhere. Please be sure you know what you are doing.
>
> My emails are not costing anyone anything.

They do. They cost us time. And we can't always ignore them either because
they can derail the discussion if we do.

> > Please consider, seriously, what value you think you are contributing to
> this list, before posting again.
>
> When I post I believe I am adding value, usually;

This might sound like a strange question, but why do you believe so?
Opinions aren't valuable by themselves, if only because everyone has them.
I would argue they have even less value than ideas.

Most other people don't respond nearly as much on this list as you do
because they mostly limit themselves to their areas of expertise. In fact
it's often the most knowledgeable people whom you will hear the least in
discussions. I think your contributions would be much more valuable if you
spent the same total effort on a tenth of the amount of emails.

> this whole reply
> is a valueless response to a valueless jab. While it might make
> you feel better and get some people off your back

It is not a jab, and if you really think it makes him feel better then I
think you missed his point entirely.

Leon