Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor

From:
Oodler 577 via perl5-porters
Date:
Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor
Message ID:
20210813224558.GZ28661@odin.sdf-eu.org
* Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> [2021-08-13 16:23:38 -0400]:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Oodler 577 via perl5-porters wrote:
> > And IIRC, "//" is not a logical operator; it's more like assignment shorthand. So
> > does it even need a lower precedent "word" to represent it? In what cases
> > might this be useful? Maybe we can consider the shorthand "ass" (for assignment)
> > in this case?
>
> // is a logical operator.  Beyond the fact that, as an analog to || and &&, it is obviously performing logic, it's documented as "Logical Defined-Or" in the manual.  It has nothing to do with assignment.  Perhaps you are thinking of "//=", the combining assignment form that many binary operators have.  Or maybe you just thought it would be funny to say a rude word.

Yes, my mistake. I was thinking of //=. Regardless "err" as the
"word" for "//" is almost as boneheaded as using "===" for something
that does not mean what it means in JavaScript. I mean that no one
spoke up some months ago about that potential train wreck still boggles
my mind.

> Brett, you seem to respond to an inordinately high percentage of threads on this list.  When you do, the content often seems to be, "I don't know anything about this topic, but I would like to weigh in."  This is very irritating.

I'm not sure how to respond here. I feel like I know things that
might be value-add. Saying rude words is just my way of saying,
"this is a bad idea".

> Larry Wall's original newsreader for Usenet provided this warning when you posted:
> > This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire civilized world. Your message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars to send everywhere. Please be sure you know what you are doing.

My emails are not costing anyone anything. Use an email filter if
you don't want to read my words. What costs people money is no one
calling out potentally harmful things. In this case, "err" as the
short word for the lower precedent "//".

If this is related to other comments I might have made recently on
non-email channels; my motivation is the same. To point out things
that I see, which apparently the ones with the talking sticks do
not. If others with similar observations stepped up, then you'd
not hear a peep out of me.

> Please consider, seriously, what value you think you are contributing to this list, before posting again.

When I post I believe I am adding value, usually; this whole reply
is a valueless response to a valueless jab. While it might make
you feel better and get some people off your back, it just ends up
being a waste of time for everyone. And kills more electrons, and
apparently costs billions of dollars in the process.

I don't want to waste my time or anyone else's time "fighting" over
this kind of stuff.

This also could have been a private email, in which case I would have
responded in a much more polite and conciliatory way.

Cheers,
Brett

> --
> rjbs