Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor
Message ID:
cf26a6c0-7899-401f-9520-ca5608d5210b@beta.fastmail.com
On Wed, Aug 11, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Oodler 577 via perl5-porters wrote:
> And IIRC, "//" is not a logical operator; it's more like assignment shorthand. So
> does it even need a lower precedent "word" to represent it? In what cases
> might this be useful? Maybe we can consider the shorthand "ass" (for assignment)
> in this case?

// is a logical operator.  Beyond the fact that, as an analog to || and &&, it is obviously performing logic, it's documented as "Logical Defined-Or" in the manual.  It has nothing to do with assignment.  Perhaps you are thinking of "//=", the combining assignment form that many binary operators have.  Or maybe you just thought it would be funny to say a rude word.

Brett, you seem to respond to an inordinately high percentage of threads on this list.  When you do, the content often seems to be, "I don't know anything about this topic, but I would like to weigh in."  This is very irritating.

Larry Wall's original newsreader for Usenet provided this warning when you posted:
> This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire civilized world. Your message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands of dollars to send everywhere. Please be sure you know what you are doing.

Please consider, seriously, what value you think you are contributing to this list, before posting again.

--
rjbs