Re: Pre-RFC: Configure option for whether to include taint support

From:
demerphq
Date:
Re: Pre-RFC: Configure option for whether to include taint support
Message ID:
CANgJU+VE-Bbx9-_sEtEGZQZ9A1-LGRgURhvSZzynqmCc-ysHHQ@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 at 11:31, Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> Anyway, I really wish we completely removed that misfeature, but if wecan't,
> adding it as an option to Configure is the next best thing.
>

> I think/hope that adding a Configure option is the first step on a path
> that looks something like the following:
>
>    1. Add Configure option, with taint included by default
>    2. Toggle so that taint isn’t included by default
>    3. Remove taint, so there isn’t a Configure option
>
> Once step 1 is done, we can find out how many things on CPAN break, and do
> something about those. We’d need to give people time to adjust, so I guess
> we’d have to stay on step 1 for at least two annual releases.

I can double check, but we have been running with this in all our builds
for ages. When we rolled it out I think we had some turbulence learning
which test files could be ignored/skipped, I think we might have pushed
some patches upstream so they would test that taint was available and skip
the test, and i think we also just built something into our build process
so we know what test files not to run. But other than build issues I am not
aware it caused any issues.

cheers
Yves