Re: Pre-RFC: Configure option for whether to include taint support

From:
Neil Bowers
Date:
Re: Pre-RFC: Configure option for whether to include taint support
Message ID:
2eeed532-64d3-44b8-a8c8-45ce4835d60c@Spark
> Anyway, I really wish we completely removed that misfeature, but if wecan't, adding it as an option to Configure is the next best thing.

I think/hope that adding a Configure option is the first step on a path that looks something like the following:

1. Add Configure option, with taint included by default
2. Toggle so that taint isn’t included by default
3. Remove taint, so there isn’t a Configure option

Once step 1 is done, we can find out how many things on CPAN break, and do something about those. We’d need to give people time to adjust, so I guess we’d have to stay on step 1 for at least two annual releases.

If we move to step 2, distributions would presumably start shipping a perl that doesn’t have taint support, which I think inexorably moves us towards step 3.

Depending on the discussion we get here, and the response to a Configure option, of course we may decide that we should stick at step 1. But I suspect that giving people a "go 10% faster" option, where the trade off is a feature they never use, is going to nudge us along.

Neil