Re: Twigils

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: Twigils
Message ID:
36cc1495-285d-e13c-61e8-42a6eb0fa758@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-08-13 1:02 a.m., Tom Molesworth via perl5-porters wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 at 15:59, Darren Duncan wrote:
>     I believe the best way to design this is to do something that directly mirrors
>     the current blessed hashref approach, which is that you ALWAYS reference a slot
>     in terms of a subscript of an object of the type.
>
> Strong disagreement from me on this - after using Object::Pad for a while, it's
> painful to go back to the old approaches.
>
> Slot access is a common operation, so I find the single-character Huffman
> encoding we have now to be an excellent fit.

I don't have a problem with the single character Huffman coding as an ADDITIONAL
option.  But it needs to be in ADDITION to something like what I proposed,
because that Huffman option itself only gives access to slots for a single
object of the current class while mine works for all objects of the current
class. -- Darren Duncan