Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
David Cantrell
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
20210812144811.GA27307@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk
On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 11:45:21PM -0700, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2021-08-06 5:01 p.m., Chris Prather wrote:
> >>On Aug 6, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>I don't think it's comparable. Comments are parsed by the perl
> >>interpreter, but POD is not, except to find the end of the POD.
> >
> >Additionally comments don???t as far as I know have a way to declare their
> >encoding.
> Question:  Is there ever a real life scenario where a single source file is
> not entirely the same encoding?

Sure. Some code, in utf8, and then a binary blob in __DATA__ which the
utf8 code reads and parses.

It's not good practice, but it's what you had to do to easily distribute
data in a CPAN distribution before File::ShareDir::Install existed.

   When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life
      -- Samuel Johnson