Re: Twigils

From:
Oodler 577 via perl5-porters
Date:
Re: Twigils
Message ID:
20210812145109.GX28661@odin.sdf-eu.org
* Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> [2021-08-12 13:48:29 +0100]:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:24:43 +0000 (UTC)
> Ovid via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:
>
> > 'cuz we know y'all love a debate ...
> > We're working on the Corinna RFC and it won't be sent soon, but due
> > to Corinna's design, we have a subtle issue that isn't shared by most
> > other OO languages. In short, lexical variables (declared in a method
> > or in a signature) can hide the instance variables. Twigils is one
> > way of solving that issue. I've described it in more detail here:
> > https://github.com/Ovid/Cor/issues/29
> >
> > We have not made a decision, but we'd like to know if P5P would
> > consider this acceptable or not. We know that for many people,
> > twigils can be a hot-button issue.
>
> It should also be noted that this is one of the rare few design
> decisions we're having to treat entirely theoretically, based purely on
> people's thoughts and opinions, and we can't back it up with observed
> fact from actual practice.
>
> This is because core perl doesn't make it possible (or at least, I
> haven't found a way to make it possible) to try implementing twigils in
> Object::Pad. Many of the other design shapes and choices in Corinna
> have been tested out experimentally by writing real code in
> Object::Pad, but this particular issue doesn't lend itself to such
> experimentation.

I feel compelled to point out that this is heading in the wrong direction.

This was apparent to me when I had to consult Perl 6/Raku documentation to
see what a "twigil" was.

https://docs.raku.org/language/variables

So if there is a "debate" to be had (here), it would be regarding how
far from "trad" perl 5 you wish to deviate. My concern is that it is
heading towards Perl 6/Raku - the risk being that you'll lose the core
perl 5 audience and find yourself competing with Raku, which has a 20
yr head start.

Bear in mind, I have no issues with Raku; but I think it'd be virtual
suicide for any effort that is trying to improve the POOP experience
for Perl 5 and it's large, diverse base of users.

Thoughts?
Brett

> --
> Paul "LeoNerd" Evans