Re: Twigils

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: Twigils
Message ID:
20210812134829.739fcd50@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:24:43 +0000 (UTC)
Ovid via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> 'cuz we know y'all love a debate ...
> We're working on the Corinna RFC and it won't be sent soon, but due
> to Corinna's design, we have a subtle issue that isn't shared by most
> other OO languages. In short, lexical variables (declared in a method
> or in a signature) can hide the instance variables. Twigils is one
> way of solving that issue. I've described it in more detail here:
> https://github.com/Ovid/Cor/issues/29
>
> We have not made a decision, but we'd like to know if P5P would
> consider this acceptable or not. We know that for many people,
> twigils can be a hot-button issue.

It should also be noted that this is one of the rare few design
decisions we're having to treat entirely theoretically, based purely on
people's thoughts and opinions, and we can't back it up with observed
fact from actual practice.

This is because core perl doesn't make it possible (or at least, I
haven't found a way to make it possible) to try implementing twigils in
Object::Pad. Many of the other design shapes and choices in Corinna
have been tested out experimentally by writing real code in
Object::Pad, but this particular issue doesn't lend itself to such
experimentation.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans