Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor
Message ID:
02e183d6-229f-df21-3351-5eb2f3de10fe@pobox.com
On 8/11/21 10:33 AM, Dan Book wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 9:21 AM H.Merijn Brand <perl5@tux.freedom.nl
> <mailto:perl5@tux.freedom.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Is it an RFC if it is based on something that already existed?
>
>     Paul asked me on IRC and I realized times have changed. We have a
>     renewed community with a new organization, and new ways forward.
>
>     We also have learned from the past and we are trying to keep up with
>     the future(s).
>
>     So, with the last public mail on the subject being from Rik on this
>     mailing list on 18 Feb 2013, I will just ask if there are votes in
>     favor of bringing err/dor as low-precedence // back into the language
>
>        !     not
>        ||    or
>        &&    and
>        //    dor (or err or whatever)
>        ^     xor
>
>     IIRC there were two issues that cause this new keyword not to land:
>
>       1. No conclusive agreement on the name "dor" or "err"
>
>       2. No agreement on the state (builtin keyword or weak keyword)
>
>     History:
>
>     • "err" as low-precedence defined-or was introduced somewhere between
>        5.8 and 5.10, probably mid 2002. The first cleaned-up patch I found
>        was from 26-07-2002. The word "err" was chosen as it sounds like
>        "or". Not a good argument, but whatever. It was implemented as what
>        was called a weak keyword. The internals refer to OP_DOR (defined
>        or), so the rename to "dor" was suggested by Schwern on 05-09-2007.
>        By that time all in favor of the low-precedence "err" were already
>        used to the word "err" and really didn't care.
>
>     A lot of water has flowed since and neither "err" nor "dor" ever made
>     it to a stable version of Perl as builtin keyword.
>
>     • The most recent commit dealing with err/dor was from 11-12-2020!
>        where the last remnants of KEY_err where removed from the tokenizer
>

>     I personally would *LOVE* to see it return to the language. I now know
>     Paul Johnson would too.
>

>     https://www.cpan.org/authors/id/H/HM/HMBRAND/
>     <https://www.cpan.org/authors/id/H/HM/HMBRAND/> still holds
>        the patch files to include defined-or in perl-5.8.1 .. 5.8.9
>

> I think this would be useful, but have no strong feelings toward whether
> it's added or the name.
>
> -Dan

Since the last time this came up was several years ago, would it be
possible to provide a one-paragraph explanation for the rationale for
the feature?