RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
August 11, 2021 13:21
Subject:
RFC? pre-RFC? Return of the Jedi^W err/dor
Message ID:
20210811152021.32999327@pc09
Is it an RFC if it is based on something that already existed?

Paul asked me on IRC and I realized times have changed. We have a
renewed community with a new organization, and new ways forward.

We also have learned from the past and we are trying to keep up with
the future(s).

So, with the last public mail on the subject being from Rik on this
mailing list on 18 Feb 2013, I will just ask if there are votes in
favor of bringing err/dor as low-precedence // back into the language

  !     not
  ||	or
  &&	and
  //	dor (or err or whatever)
  ^     xor

IIRC there were two issues that cause this new keyword not to land:

 1. No conclusive agreement on the name "dor" or "err"

 2. No agreement on the state (builtin keyword or weak keyword)

History:

• "err" as low-precedence defined-or was introduced somewhere between
  5.8 and 5.10, probably mid 2002. The first cleaned-up patch I found
  was from 26-07-2002. The word "err" was chosen as it sounds like
  "or". Not a good argument, but whatever. It was implemented as what
  was called a weak keyword. The internals refer to OP_DOR (defined
  or), so the rename to "dor" was suggested by Schwern on 05-09-2007.
  By that time all in favor of the low-precedence "err" were already
  used to the word "err" and really didn't care.

A lot of water has flowed since and neither "err" nor "dor" ever made
it to a stable version of Perl as builtin keyword.

• The most recent commit dealing with err/dor was from 11-12-2020!
  where the last remnants of KEY_err where removed from the tokenizer

I personally would *LOVE* to see it return to the language. I now know
Paul Johnson would too.

https://www.cpan.org/authors/id/H/HM/HMBRAND/ still holds
  the patch files to include defined-or in perl-5.8.1 .. 5.8.9

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux