Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
0c33c96c-0106-44e2-b49c-fd1b483bce82@beta.fastmail.com
On Sat, Aug 7, 2021, at 11:55 AM, Dan Book wrote:
> Yes. POD parsers and the perl interpreter do not read the same parts of the file, ever. Thus they must each indicate to their corresponding parsers what encoding they contain.

Assuming you mean this exactly as written, I don't believe this is true.

use v5.34.0;
use warnings;

my $string = <<'END';
=encoding utf8