Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
Andreas K. Huettel
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
19418737.0ZKypZ73Fx@pinacolada
> At the PSC, we had a long talk about this, and another proposal was made:
>
> We introduce a new stricture, which I'll call "source_encoding".  Under "use strict 'source_encoding'", the compiler will raise an exception when the source contains non-ASCII content unless the utf8 pragma is in effect.  The error raised can drive the programmer to documentation explaining the various trade-offs.  That is: you can turn on utf8 and deal with how this affects your I/O, or you can disable the stricture, or you can restate your non-ASCII content as ASCII by using escaping constructs.

This somehow feels like a step backwards.

Nearly every modern Linux installation uses a unicode locale by default nowadays, I haven't come across a text file in latin1 (or similar) encoding for months...

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
dilfridge@gentoo.org