Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
Dan Book
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
CABMkAVWodwO6UHpz0b8sCPQ3wC3n_Bkxq_oXhZjrZRL2kLdckA@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 6:38 PM Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net>
wrote:

> On 2021-08-07 2:52 p.m., Dan Book wrote:
> > It's not a matter of support. It just doesn't matter to the perl
> interpreter
> > what the encoding of POD is, and vice versa.
>
> That's fair and reasonable.  But my question is broader than Perl code vs
> POD.
>
> Is it reasonable to support either of these next 2 scenarios?
>
> 1.  A file contains only Perl code and no POD, and one subset of that file
> has a
> different character encoding than a different subset.
>
> 2.  A file contains only POD and no Perl code, and one subset of that file
> has a
> different character encoding than a different subset.

I might suggest starting a new thread if you want to discuss these
possibilities and their implications, they have no bearing on the
implementation of the proposed feature. FWIW, I do not think the second
scenario is currently supported by any POD parser.

-Dan