Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
26937353-c0bd-3205-fae7-779d9c19ae01@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-08-07 5:01 a.m., Martijn Lievaart wrote:
> Op 07-08-2021 om 08:51 schreef Darren Duncan:
>> Or even putting aside the POD, is there any real scenario where a single file
>> consisting of only Perl code is in multiple encodings at once?
>
> Probably not, but ...
>
>> If there is a "use utf8;" anywhere in a Perl file, would it not be reasonable
>> to interpret that it is describing the entire file and not just the portion of
>> the file below that statement?
>
> ... I don't feel that is reasonable. It's not how "use" works in general. "Use"
> affects the file being parsed from that point on. If you want it to affect the
> whole file, put it as the first statement.
>
> But I don't get what you want to achieve, what problem you want to solve with
> this solution?

I propose that if we don't want to explicitly support mixed encodings then
explicit encoding declarations are a special case (that can be clearly
documented) where their effect should be retroactive to describe the whole file,
because logically that's the only thing that makes sense (for a non mixed
encoding file, declaring any part of it as UTF-8 is logically saying the whole
file is UTF-8), even if it does happen to have the form of a "use" statement. --
Darren Duncan