Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
Martijn Lievaart
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
1498b28a-91e3-b910-1252-ea7c02c4461d@rtij.nl
Op 07-08-2021 om 08:51 schreef Darren Duncan:
> Or even putting aside the POD, is there any real scenario where a
> single file consisting of only Perl code is in multiple encodings at
> once?

Probably not, but ...

> If there is a "use utf8;" anywhere in a Perl file, would it not be
> reasonable to interpret that it is describing the entire file and not
> just the portion of the file below that statement?

... I don't feel that is reasonable. It's not how "use" works in
general. "Use" affects the file being parsed from that point on. If you
want it to affect the whole file, put it as the first statement.

But I don't get what you want to achieve, what problem you want to solve
with this solution?

HTH,

M4