Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
b234a7fb-ad4a-39c1-d44a-35be8e2e8bab@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-08-06 11:45 p.m., Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2021-08-06 5:01 p.m., Chris Prather wrote:
>>> On Aug 6, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think it's comparable. Comments are parsed by the perl interpreter,
>>> but POD is not, except to find the end of the POD.
>>
>> Additionally comments don’t as far as I know have a way to declare their
>> encoding.
>
> Question:  Is there ever a real life scenario where a single source file is not
> entirely the same encoding?  Can you reasonably have a single file containing
> Perl code and POD where the Perl code is one character encoding and the POD is
> another one? -- Darren Duncan

Or even putting aside the POD, is there any real scenario where a single file
consisting of only Perl code is in multiple encodings at once?

If there is a "use utf8;" anywhere in a Perl file, would it not be reasonable to
interpret that it is describing the entire file and not just the portion of the
file below that statement?

Perhaps a reasonable design would be that if a file contains a UTF-8 declaration
anywhere in it, the entire file is treated as such, both the part above and the
part below that declaration.  And if multiple conflicting encoding declarations
exist for the current file, that is an error.

Basically the encoding declaration can be something that is scanned for in
advance of the regular parsing, or if done inline, encountering such would cause
the parser to restart at the beginning if the declaration is different than what
the parser was doing up to that point, effectively the whole file is affected by
that declaration either way.

-- Darren Duncan