RE: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
=?us-ascii?Q?Wolf-Dietrich_Moeller_=28Munchen=29?=
Date:
RE: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
000001d78afc$9e4c6f40$dae54dc0$@de
Ricardo Signes wrote:

> We introduce a new stricture, which I'll call "source_encoding".  Under
"use strict 'source_encoding'", the compiler will raise an exception when
the source contains non-ASCII content unless the utf8 pragma is in effect.
The error raised can drive the programmer to documentation explaining the
various trade-offs.  That is: you can turn on utf8 and deal with how this
affects your I/O, or you can disable the stricture, or you can restate your
non-ASCII content as ASCII by using escaping constructs.

Question: If I understand correctly, this would be turned on just by "use
strict", even without "use v5.36". As many existing programs contain "use
strict", does this mean that all existing sources using Latin1 would fail?
I can imagine, that many programs use "use strict" (as its use is strongly
recommended, seeing the other discussion about turning it on with "use
v5.36").

Regards Wolf