Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
Dan Book
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
CABMkAVUCbbwD=NH+Qc224e5RZ0uJ7aUG3Jgbh-vx3+fLDeFeJw@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 2:04 PM Graham Knop <haarg@haarg.org> wrote:

> I think this might be reasonable, but I'm not certain about how we
> would want it to interact with Pod.
>
> Pod is often interleaved with code, and more likely to include names,
> and thus, UTF-8 characters. The way to declare Pod content as UTF-8 is
> separate from how it is declared for the source. Should users be
> required to include both a 'use utf8;' and '=encoding UTF-8' if they
> want to include UTF-8 characters in their documentation, even if their
> code is pure ASCII?

It seems reasonable to me for this restriction to ignore POD, and only
apply to things "use utf8" applies to (so including __DATA__/__END__).
Though I'm not sure how that interacts internally.

-Dan