Re: Robin Hood Hashing for the perl core

From:
Martijn Lievaart
Date:
Re: Robin Hood Hashing for the perl core
Message ID:
0acf123e-2bbe-53b4-ccbc-fe8a3439eda1@rtij.nl

Op 06-08-2021 om 03:13 schreef Darren Duncan:
> On 2021-08-04 1:01 a.m., Smylers wrote:
>> Let's debate a specific proposal on its own merits, and not discard it,
>> or derail the discussion, in the hope of something bigger and vaguer
>> that possibly could happen in the future.
>
> I fully agree.
>
> As the saying goes, the perfect is the enemy of the good.
>
> The current discussion should just focus on whether the current
> proposed new solution is significantly better than what Perl has now
> and thus whether Perl switching to it would be an improvement.
>
> Consideration of other algorithms can be their own separate
> discussions if or when someone comes up with a specific example and
> makes a case it is better than the winner of the current discussion,
> including that someone has already committed to do the work etc.

Yes, but a question that may be asked is, can this be generalized to
support different algorithms easily, so programmers can choose the
hashing algorithm at runtime. And if it can, is it worth to take such a
broadening of the scope on at the same time as handling the current
proposal. If it is easy to implement, it should be looked at.

I suspect the answer to this is a firm no, but it never hurts to look at
this. Anyone who knows the internals who can say something about that?

M4