Pre-RFC: Real "boolean" SV type

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Pre-RFC: Real "boolean" SV type
Message ID:
20210804155819.2225f6ff@shy.leonerd.org.uk
I propose the addition of a new SV type, of SVt_BOOL. Should I write an
RFC?

This type will act much like the existing "booleans" of PL_sv_no and
PL_sv_yes, except its type will remain distinct, so it will be possible
to distinguish "that SV is a boolean". This is a requirement for
certain kinds of data serialisation - such as JSON or MsgPack - and may
be useful for many other purposes too.

Still to be determined: a pureperl interface on it. E.g. would this be
possible:

  use feature 'bool';

  my $yes = true;   # new literal value keywords
  my $no  = false;  #

  use Scalar::Util 'svtype';

  is( svtype($yes), "BOOL", 'true is SVt_BOOL');

Thoughts on a postcard*.

*: Where "postcard" means: **PLEASE KEEP REPLIES SHORT**. This is a
pre-RFC question. Replies should be limited to the question of whether
I should write the RFC - not about the feature itself.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans