Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply UTF-8 encoded source

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply UTF-8 encoded source
Message ID:
20210802173256.70d03771@pc09
On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 11:27:15 -0400, Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 11:05 AM H.Merijn Brand <perl5@tux.freedom.nl>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:45:53 -0400, "Ricardo Signes"
> > <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Porters,
> > >
> > > I propose that "use v5.36.0" should imply that the source code is,
> > > subsequently, UTF-8 encoded.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > But the docs and release notes should very clearly state that this
> > is about the source code itself, as I see many discussions rambling
> > about the data handling being changed, which is not the case.
> >

> The data in a literal non-ASCII string under "use utf8" is different
> from the data in an identically-written string without "use utf8";
> thus it is factual that the data handling will change for these
> strings. That it's changing because the source code itself was
> decoded doesn't change the practical implications.

Yes, but as long as the script itself does not change its own start to
'use v5.36;' (or higher) it will work just as it did ever before.

I think the pro's weight up to the cons when well-documented and warned

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux