Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply UTF-8 encoded source

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply UTF-8 encoded source
Message ID:
1af2edd5-8cee-c0ba-1b62-8a6647d52eef@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-07-30 11:15 p.m., Yuki Kimoto wrote:
> 2021-7-30 23:46 Ricardo Signes wrote:
>     I propose that "use v5.36.0" should imply that the source code is,
>     subsequently, UTF-8 encoded.
>
>   At least after v5.38+.
>
> It is good to change one by one.
>
> I want to see the effect and hear the user experience of "use warnings" in the
> next release.

I strongly disagree.  The warnings and utf8 are unrelated features.  These are
each also minor changes considering they are lexical.  Perl interpreter
development is already moving at a relatively glacial pace, there is no benefit
and a lot of downside of delaying the utf8 for a year just to see what people
say after a production with warnings is released.  The 5.36 is still about 9
months away, that is plenty of time for people to give feedback on either that
or the warnings.

> My intuition is that there is a lot of code that hasn't been UTF-8 yet.

A tiny minority most likely.  My intuition is that the vast majority of code is
already UTF-8, either because it is plain ASCII, which is a proper subset of
UTF-8, or it was written in the last 15+ years when the gradually increasing
amount of non-ASCII literals would have been done in the Unicode way.

> Over the next year or two, we should send messages to end users a lot about
> using "use utf8" and writing source code in UTF-8.

We should definitely message a lot, but if folding in the utf8 is reasonable as
a feature, we should know this in time to include it in 5.36 or never.

-- Darren Duncan