"use v5.36.0" should imply UTF-8 encoded source

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
July 30, 2021 14:46
Subject:
"use v5.36.0" should imply UTF-8 encoded source
Message ID:
4dce249f-3bf9-49ad-92da-22fe50f027c8@beta.fastmail.com
Porters,

I propose that "use v5.36.0" should imply that the source code is, subsequently, UTF-8 encoded.

Currently, I advise the following boilerplate:
use v5.34.0;
use warnings;
use utf8;

We're on the cusp or merging warnings in.  Next, we merge in utf8.  This shouldn't break existing programs, only programs that opt to change behavior by adding v5.36.0.

With that, the boilerplate could be:
use v5.36.0;

This doesn't need to load utf8.pm, and could just alter $^H, but: whatever.

--
rjbs