Patching blead-upstream dual-life modules

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
July 17, 2021 16:52
Subject:
Patching blead-upstream dual-life modules
Message ID:
1c996141-cc68-f367-2f36-d24ace7f8bc4@khwilliamson.com
Presumably cpan-upstream module changes are soaked by cpan testers
successfully before appearing in blead.

That doesn't happen with our blead-upstream patches, and that can lead
to problems.

I believe we need to institute some procedures to ensure that we don't
inadvertently break blead-upstream modules when run on older perls.

Obviously, changing a comment or documentation accompanied by a version
dump isn't likely to break things, and wouldn't need to be subject to
any procedures we may institute.

I'm writing this because Devel::PPPort is now broken on Perl 5.13.0 (and
presumably earlier) by this recent commit:

commit 7169efc77525df70484a824bff4ceebd1fafc760
*Author: Tony Cook <tony@develop-help.com>
  Date:   Thu Jul 15 13:13:03 2021 +1000

      skip using gcc brace groups for STMT_START/END

      This warns (and warns a lot) on clang, and since these are documented
      to only work to make a single statement, so there's little value to
      allowing them to work in an expression.

      An alternative would be to disable GCC brace groups on clang, but
      these are used extensively in DEBUGGING builds to add extra checks
      in sv.h.

I certainly wouldn't have predicted the breakage from reading the commit
code; the way it showed up was I was trying to incorporate it into the
next release of D:P, and this involves testing on early perls.

But this could happen to any dual life module