develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2021

PSC #028 2021-07-09 minutes

Thread Next
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
July 16, 2021 15:02
PSC #028 2021-07-09 minutes
Message ID:
Minutes from my first time taking them, for the PSC meeting:

Neil and Paul present. Rik couldn't attend due to prior work commitment.

We discussed the quirks doc - nothing to do yet. Neil intends to finish
collecting thoughts over the weekend and publish something.

Discussed PR#17771 (Tux's DynaLoader 64bit directories monkeypatch). We
agree that the situation is not something Perl should be attempting to
fix ("configure on one machine, move to a different one with different
dirs"), so we agree to close it.

Leon's PR#18666 ("use VERSION should imply use warnings"). It needs
poking to fix/finish it - either get leont to do that or find someone
else to. Action: Paul commented on PR, emailed p5p@.

G_LIST PRs (PR#18851, PR#18852) - Action: Paul should work out what to
do to further these - likely poke khw and/or atoomic.

Discussed NV vs PV and what it means (with respect to PR#18958)
Discussed knock-on effects on CPAN modules - code might break? but
that's always going to happen. Maybe people's unit tests might break -
they can version-guard. Two questions: Is this the right change? And
how to handle fallout? After we decide to proceed, it should be easy to
review the PR to check it's the right way to do it. Action: Paul will
start a thread of "is this a good idea?" on p5p@

On `unbless` - we haven't needed it in 20 years. The existing "TO JSON"
arguments don't seem valid. Corinna will obviate it anyway. Not going
to core - there's existing CPAN modules for it - Acme::Damn and
similar. It's not even clear that it's worth adding to Scalar::Util.

On `weaken` - should it be core language? It's a fundamental language
ability, it seems odd not to be a keyword. Perhaps we could add it. But
if we do, it's the start of a slippery slope to pull in more things
from Scalar::Util, and maybe List::Util. And this seems to lead
naturally to the discussion of namespaces again and whether we want to
bring in a hundred or so new functions.

Paul "LeoNerd" Evans      |  |

Thread Next Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at | Group listing | About