"Good Reasons to Use Perl in 2021" (video)

From:
mah.kitteh via perl5-porters
Date:
June 28, 2021 09:41
Subject:
"Good Reasons to Use Perl in 2021" (video)
Message ID:
pEHUMf_rCw7TVqPUUYyWuHfm6-Dbx0ttcSQ1lfM9abAxq1mr_X5rZ9M_rzAgcOkOhpuR2xaFJQbmEC-3ftw9LO7KOOU580VSpGWuDhU7D_I=@protonmail.ch
Apologies if this has already been shared, it's not very old and I don't recall seeing it here. I only found it because I was searching for the most recent Perl videos on the 'toob.

I don't agree with everything in this video, but I do agree with many of them. It's a good listen for everyone to provide some perspective. On the whole, it's a highly positive take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGoLnnOFBoc

Perl 5 still dominates as the most powerful terminal scripting language on the planet. It is the only language with \p{Lu} Unicode support. It was never meant for large scale applications, let alone the entire f*ing Web. The fact that Perl held up as well as it did is a testament to its solid stability and undeniable power. Perl still has a variety of benefits over all other languages, just don't write anything you'd call an "application" in it (and stay the hell away from anything but Perl 5).

Cheers,
Brett

ps: if you want to comment on the contents, you're probably best served doing so on the yt comments.