Re: This is not an RFC to bring modern OO into the Perl core

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
June 21, 2021 04:58
Re: This is not an RFC to bring modern OO into the Perl core
Message ID:
040f5751-221a-3ad0-4117-b9c93dc0f65d@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-06-20 7:04 p.m., Ricardo Signes wrote:
> In general, I want to say that this is welcome.  What I'm most keen to get a
> handle on is "where it all gets shoved in".  That is:  I can imagine that this
> is "perl5.git gets oo.c which handles all this" or "we need to add three new
> parser hooks and a new kind of SV" or "this will all run on top of the existing
> core, but I want it to ship with perl."
>
> Can you (or Paul) give even a rough idea of where you think this will fall?  It
> will help set my level of circumspection later. ;)

The impression I get is that the appropriate and proper way to implement Corinna
is most like your "we need to add three new parser hooks and a new kind of SV"
option.

As Chris Prather said, the most fundamental thing Corinna brings to the table is
a new primitive, an opaque record type, like a SV that is not any of
hash/array/etc we have now but rather is a peer to those.

-- Darren Duncan