Re: smartmatch and v5.36.0

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
June 20, 2021 12:34
Re: smartmatch and v5.36.0
Message ID:
764e040a-66af-410d-9766-004de37603fb@beta.fastmail.com
On Sun, Jun 20, 2021, at 7:47 AM, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> I think we all want shot of that thing, and I expect I won't be the
> first to throw a party when it goes. But I'm not sure we want to remove
> it until we have a better replacement, do we?

I do.

I am absolutely not telling people, "We'd like a better matching feature, but until we have one, I encourage you to make use of given/when."  I say, "Write the code without using given/when and maybe someday upgrade it to the new thing."

This isn't about removing smartmatch from the language.  It's about not turning it on when somebody says "use v5.36".

--
rjbs