Re: the variable-length lookbehind experiment

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
June 20, 2021 12:32
Re: the variable-length lookbehind experiment
Message ID:
83a3a28e-06ac-4c87-b880-a36876163d3f@beta.fastmail.com
On Sun, Jun 20, 2021, at 7:28 AM, hv@crypt.org <mailto:hv%40crypt.org> wrote:
> In the ticket you call it an "experimental feature", but I think "experiment"
> is more accurate - there's nothing in feature.pm for it.

Regular expression are a feature of perl, but are not in feature.pm.  perlexperiment.pod calls the listed things "experimental features".  I think "feature" is a pretty tough word to circumscribe so tightly when describing a programming language.

> I think it is worth asking whether anyone has been using it: I don't recall
> any mention here of positive or negative experiences with it. I see that a
> handful of simple tests were added in 2abbd513b87 (below, in t/re/re_tests),
> but I don't know if more comprehensive tests were added later.

I agree that it would be good to hear from people using this.

--
rjbs