Re: idea: everything-slices

From:
mah.kitteh via perl5-porters
Date:
June 20, 2021 02:31
Re: idea: everything-slices
Message ID:
BPmD1mlGZErNM2HDBwbEkmD2wD2gVomJKN0VJQ7c23KmsgQVDGDgh9zHS5pmwvtaIMVmD08V1tSQNqQ-BUKo_QjCTy0Z48PVIK2aT-kMD1A=@protonmail.ch
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, June 19th, 2021 at 8:53 PM, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> Porters,
>
> I feel confident that this should be an RFC, but our process says "post to p5p before writing up an RFC," and "write something less format" sounds great. So:
>
> I would like to propose a new piece of syntax. It's not my own original idea, it's come from a few places and individuals independently, but I'm the one who's ready to go to bat for it here. It is the everything slice.
>
> An everything slice is a slice that includes every element in an aggregate. We can hash out syntax, but let's start by saying "it's a slice where the subscript is replaced by a literal asterisk."

This is my only comment, though I tried to carefully read your proposal. In principle I personally like it, but don't use slices as often as I probably should.

I am detecting some conflcit here with slice (every "even" indexed element") and "every" element. Is it correct to say that '*' below means every "tuple" (pair)?

For example, I can do:
my %hash = (qw/one 1 two 2 three 3);

And similarly, the following 2 are equivalent:

my @array1 = %hash;
my @array2 = (qw/one 1 two 2 three 3/);

Am I reading this right that, the '*' notation is actually sending a tuple of each $key/$val pair? If this is the case, my only suggestion is that there be some other semantic hint other than the "{}" that this is doing the "slice" (or "pair-wise") thing. It does seem a lot more clear when keys are explicitly written as the "slice". With this in mind "slice notation" is a thing and it might behoove us to investigate this a bit futher. But I do personally like the idea of indicating via "{}" to 'send all pairs".

And FWIW, bash associative arrays us "@". Which would probably be confusing for us. E.g.,

#!bash
for i in "${!array[@]}"
do
echo "key : $i" echo "value: ${array[$i]}"
done

I do particularly like this general idea expressed below as,

@array[*] = @hundred_items; # @array remains 10 long

But I feel like going back and looking at well developed "slice notation" is likely in order. Even if it's to take a look at PDL, which surely has crossed this bridge.

Cheers,
Brett