Re: This is not an RFC to bring modern OO into the Perl core

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
June 19, 2021 20:44
Re: This is not an RFC to bring modern OO into the Perl core
Message ID:
5c4a2dff-31bc-e203-495b-b057b475efa8@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-06-19 7:31 a.m., Ovid via perl5-porters wrote:
> Tom wrote:
>
>     /I'd claim that "modern" is not a useful term to be using in any
>     documentation here - it's not descriptive, and the way it's used is more
>     subjective than anything.
>     /
>
> I've very annoyed by that comment because, damn it, it's spot on. I'll update
> the RFC when I have figured out a more appropriate phrasing. Or maybe Paul will.
> Dunno.

I completely agree with this, but it hadn't occurred to me before.

Using "modern" to describe something is so over-used its lost all meaning.  It
feels like every module on CPAN providing an object system calls itself
"modern".  So by NOT doing so, Corinna would actually stand out more.

I propose the term "effective" rather than "modern", barring that something
better comes along.  Also "concise" is good.  You can use more than one.

Frequently when I'm trying to figure out a name for something, including in my
own language/format development, I explore thesaurus-dot-com which has been
immensely helpful.

-- Darren Duncan