Re: This is not an RFC to bring modern OO into the Perl core

From:
Tom Molesworth via perl5-porters
Date:
June 19, 2021 13:27
Re: This is not an RFC to bring modern OO into the Perl core
Message ID:
CAGXhHdk=BhVE6g-ZbGe7_dDMv2maySTLs3+W6HkMLxdS570cvQ@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 at 20:45, Ovid via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org>
wrote:

> We need modern OO in the Perl core.

One very small comment on this, because the "modern OO" phrase is used
frequently and I think it's harmful:

I'd claim that "modern" is not a useful term to be using in any
documentation here - it's not descriptive, and the way it's used is more
subjective than anything.

The proposal isn't really "modern" at all - it starts by adding class and
attribute keywords, something other languages such as C++ or Java have had
for decades, so it's like claiming ET is a "modern film". What's "modern"
today will be outdated next week. It also acts as an implicit criticism for
any existing approach or code, so it's not a very inclusive term either!

Could we instead put the focus on what advantages this might have over the
existing options? For example, these might include:

- typo safety
- clear, concise syntax
- extensible grammar?

"Modern" because it's popular isn't a useful target - if it were, we'd be
encouraging the discussions about dropping sigils and ; statement
separators! - so instead let's have clear goals for this RFC that can be
used to measure suggestions against.